Human Rights Weekend Struisbaai Day 3

Because of the wind, the South League Inshore competition was postponed from Saturday to Sunday. Fortunately the weather played fair and it was a reasonably good day for the fishermen and woman to go out. And the fishing was good.
Karla has just turned 9 and although she has been fishing with her dad, Gus, on Seekat since she was very small, it was her first time fishing for yellowtail in a competition. She caught a mega 7.47kg fish on 6kg line. This is a pending Ladies South African record.

Bobbi who is 10 fished with Earl on Kiora and did really well catching a couple of good sized fish.


Sonja also fished on Kiora and managed not to get sea-sick. It was also her very first competition.

Sam is an old hand now and always does well. He was a good mentor to his sister Bobbi. We are proud of you Sam!

Another junior to do well was Robert Dahl from Overberg. He caught a pending South African junior record – a yellowtail weighing in at 8.26kg


While all this excitement was happening at sea, Jacqui and I had a late lie in and then started stripping and remaking beds for our guests who would arrive later that afternoon. Shock Horror – the new linen I’d bought the day before did not fit both beds. The duvet cover for room one was fine – but the fitted sheets were too small. The sheets for room two were fine but the duvet cover too big for the inner! Now it was Sunday in the sticks and we were stranded with no car – the men had their keys at sea. Fortunately though there was a Nissen Bakkie with keys parked outside and the driver was on Earl’s boat. We made a quick call and he told us where to find the keys and kindly allowed two women to take his prized vehicle to Bredasdorp 30km away. Sheet Street where I’d bought the linen was not open – so we had to settle for Ackerman’s who had just the stuff we needed. Phew! After all this stress, Jacqui and I thought we needed to relax with a Wimpy breakfast before making our way back to Struisbaai. Thanks Roger for saving the day!

Lines up was at 3 p.m. Jacqui and I got the bedrooms sorted and gave the rest of the house as good a clean as we could. Of course when the fisherfolk returned there was more mess to sort out. Our guests who would be staying in the house for the next two nights arrived at 5 after taking the scenic route from Cape Town, stopping at Hermanus for lunch and then continuing via Gansbaai. Wendy and Erich are from Australia and were travelling with friends who are based in Johanneburg. They are doing The Garden Route together and we will meet up with them again at Sani Valley Lodge at the foot of The Drakensberg.
Earl prepared a yellowtail for them to braai that evening and we finally left them in peace at 7 p.m. We arrived home at 10. What a great weekend it was!





3 thoughts on “Human Rights Weekend Struisbaai Day 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s