The All Coastal Bottom Fish Interprovincial Competition was hosted by Suidpunt Deep Sea Angling Club at Struisbaai from Tuesday 21 March to Saturday 25 March 2017. Thanks to Leander Wiit (Chairman of Western Provence Deep Sea Angling Association), DP Burger (Convener) and Louis Becker (Tournaments Officer) for their organisation of the event.
The three days fished were Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Conditions were superb although the sea was quite rough on Thursday.
There were nine teams, namely
- Western Province White – DP Burger (Captain) Iaan Viljoen and Gus Rautmann
- Western Province Blue – Morne Marais (Captain) Ron Pennninkhof and Philip van der Walt
- Western Province Juniors – Christof Dahl (Captain) Divan Burger and Karla Rautmann
- Natal DSSA – Abed Khan (Captain) Heino Meyer and Timothy Munnick
- Southern Cape White – Terry Terblanche (Captain) Koos Scholtz and Johan Crouse
- Southern Cape Blue – Rod Kieser (Captain) Chris Schorn and Thys Uys
- Eastern Province Black – Wayne Gerber (Captain) Christopher Gerber and Sheena Gerber
- Eastern Province Red – Kevin Clark (Captain) Peter Dawson and Alie Matthysen
- Border Deep Sea – Rory Leonard (Captain) Allan Ford and Everitt van Loggerenberg
Thanks to the skippers who put in their boats for this competition
- Kitty Cat – Pietro Cutino
- Haven – Colin Joubert
- Sea Dodger – Roger Marais
- Cavalier – Mark Truter
- Men @ Work – Piet Wessels
- GT – Patrick Christodoulou
- Relentless – Daniel Hughes
- S-Catman – Louis Bekker
- King Fisher – Erik Dahl
All the catering was done by Marinda de Kock and her team. All can attest to the superbness of the breakfasts, lunch boxes and dinners.
The radio communications were ably controlled by Andrew Perris and assisted by Earl Fenwick who also took most of the photographs.
Thanks too, to the following people, Grant van der Westhuizen, Elize Beukes and Dick le Roux for doing an awesome job as weigh masters at the scales, Mark Westhook for organising the bait and Louis Becker and Patrick Christodoulou for doing the scoring.
At the opening function it was great to see the teams dressed in their colours, newbies were capped and there was an auction to predict and ‘buy’ the winning teams. He/she who predicted the first, second and third winners would win a handsome cash prize.
Launching time was 7:00 am which meant a chilly and early rising if you wanted to enjoy a good breakfast before setting off to nab your catch. The aim was to get as many bottom species as possible. They had to be measured, photographed and released. However, if it was a pending record fish it had to be brought to the scales to be weighed. Yellowtail could be caught, kept and brought to the scales for points.
The Gerber family – Eastern Province Black – did exceptionally well and were a tough team to beat!
A special word of thanks is due to the skippers of GT, Cavalier and Haven for hosting the Juniors. Thank you guys for your patience with and your guidance and support of these delightful youngsters. Long may they continue with their passion for the sport.
It was a close competition and on Saturday all held a collective breath waiting to hear the final results at the prize-giving function. Roger and Sonja Marais were particularly delighted to hear that Western Province Blue, the team they ‘bought’ were the winners!
And so ended another awesome Suidpunt Deep Sea angling event!